Moving from one home to another is a big and complicated undertaking. You have to make prior arrangements to make sure everything is running smoothly.Besides, you can’t just arrive into your new home without doing anything to make the entire moving as smooth as possible. If you want a worry-free stay in your new home, then start doing some necessary checks as early as possible. Here are a few things you need to check before moving.
- Cleaning – Getting your new house cleaned before moving can be a DIY project. However, even if you can’t do the task on your own, it’s still best to hire professional cleaners to do the job for you. After all, there are too many things to accomplish throughout the moving process, and you might not have adequate time to do the cleaning by yourself. So, save yourself from worrying about by letting professionals do the cleaning part. They use scientific methods and appropriate tools and equipment to sanitize the entire area.
- Water connections – Before the moving day, it’s essential to inspect your new home’s water connections. That’s because it’s very hard to live in a place without water running through the tap even for a single day. Thus, find time to locate your water pipes, faucets, tap, and drainage before you move in.
- Electrical connections – Apart from water, the electricity is also an important amenity that you should have the moment you get settled in. Know where the fuse box and meter box are including the switchboards and other electrical wirings. Without it in your new house, living there will not be comfortable. Also, don’t forget to turn on all the fans and lights to see if they’re working or not.
- Cleaning supplies – Of course, you should be prepared with some necessary cleaning supplies before moving in. These things include towels, rags, sponges, all-purpose cleaners, and a trash can which are very helpful when you decide to clean your new living space on your own. For instance, you need to clean and disinfect your cabinet before putting your items in it.
- Pest control – This is a vital item to check before relocating. When you move to a new house, you need to make sure it’s ready for occupancy. However, the best way to know whether it’s safe to move in there is to have a full inspection of your place for unwanted pests. These unwanted invaders include bedbugs, fleas, rats, termites, cockroaches, and even snakes. Luckily, there are experienced pest exterminators who can help you find these pests and eliminate them immediately. Remember, doing a pest control when moving home is essential to have a peaceful and relaxing stay in your new space.
- A fresh coat of paint – You can save a lot of your time and effort if you start giving your new walls and ceilings a fresh coat before the scheduled move-in date. Doing so will allow you to take some rest after a long tiring moving day. Find a professional painter and choose the appropriate paint colors that can make your new space an inviting one. For instance, if you’re looking to brighten up your entire home, then use bright colors for the paint.
- General home features – Don’t forget to inspect your new home’s general features. Before moving, walk through around the place and check the ceilings and walls for cracks or holes. For the flooring, check if there are scratches and stains on the hardwood. Moreover, find time to inspect the doors and their hinges as well as the windows.
- Exterior features and systems – You can’t afford to relocate to a home with so many things to fix on the exterior. That said, it’s essential to check lighting fixtures, door lock, and the mailbox. If your new house has a patio, be sure to check them as well for stains, cracks, and even for loose fixtures. When it comes to your home’s air conditioning and heating system, test them beforehand and have all the filters replaced right away. Also, check the batteries of your smoke detectors to ensure they’re working properly.
- Medicines – You should always be prepared when moving. While you entrust all your stuff to professionals like Movers NYC during the move, it’s your responsibility to keep a first aid box with you. This medicine kit which includes band-aids, and medicines for stomach ache, cold, or cough should come in handy, so you can access it when an emergency arises.
Moving home is planning, preparing, and organizing everything from scratch. With so many tasks that should be done before moving, it’s essential to keep all the things mentioned in this article in mind to make sure you can get settled comfortably. Also, if you really want to get the most out of your relocation within or from New York City, there are professional moving companies NYC that will help make your transition hassle-free.